The IOGEAR GUB431 is a USB 2.0 Automatic Printer Switch which allows four PCs and / or Macs to share one printer or multi-function printer. Simply submit a print job and the printer automatically* switches to the preferred computer. The switch also enables four computers to easily share one external hard drive, scanner, or any USB device. No more plugging and unplugging between computers.
NOTE: *Automatic switch function is software based and only available with USB printer or the printer function of a multi-function printer. For connecting and using other types of USB devices, you can switch by using the push-button on the USB switch or with the included software.
IOGEAR GUB431 Features:
- Automatically* switch from one computer to another when connecting to a USB printer or multi-function printer
- Simply press a button to switch a USB device between computers - No software installation required
- Active-port LED lights indicate which computer has access to the USB device
- Switch-lock function prevents other users from switching the USB device and ensures data access consistency
- USB 2.0 support with data transfer rate up to 480Mbps and USB 1.1 backward compatible
- No external power supply needed
- Warranty: 3-YEAR
IOGEAR USB 2.0 Automatic Printer Switch Application Diagram
- Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-/64-bit, Windows 7 32-/64-bit
- Mac OS X v10.3.5 or later
- Available USB port (USB 2.0 port for High-Speed mode)
- 1 x USB 2.0 Auto Switch
- 1 x 6 ft. USB A-B Cable
- 1 x User Manual
- 1 x Application CD
- 1 x Registration / Warranty Card
IOGEAR GUB431 Specifications:
|Height||3 in. (76 mm.)|
|Width||4 in. (102 mm.)|
|Depth||1 in. (25 mm.)|
|Weight||0.2 lb. (0.09 kg.)|
|10'' Peg Hook||4|
|6'' Peg Hook||3|
|Operation Temperature||41 to 104°F|
|Storage Temperature||-4 to 140°F|
|Supply||USB Bus powered|
|Consumption||DC 5V, 2.5W|
|Port Status||Green - Online / Orange - Locked|
|Host Status||Orange - Online|
|Operating System Support||Windows ZP and above; Mac: 10.4.5, 10.5 and above|
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. This switch does have an automatic switching capability. However, the automatic functionality of this product is based on software and is only available with USB printers or the printer function of a multi-function printer. Once installed and set up on both computers, the software will handle the automatic print switching, as long as the USB hub lock is not preventing switching between computers. For other types of USB switching, there is also a manual push-button.
The specifications do say this hub supports both windows XP and Windows 7, so that should not be a problem, but as with so many technology products, compatibility and functionality are highly dependent on user environments.
Question: I have two computers running Windows 8.1 and the printer is HP Officejet 6500A. What KVA switch is best for this setup. Please recommend the correct wiring as well. I will make the order when this info is received.
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. Due the complex and varied nature of user environments, suggesting the best switch for any particular setup is beyond the scope of this simple FAQ. To ensure we recommend the proper device for your situation, one of our product experts will contact you via the email provided through the FAQ system.