MergePoint Unity User Guide (PDF)
The Avocent MergePoint Unity MPU108E-001 is a 8-port, 1 digital KVM path, with single AC power supply.
The MergePoint Unity switch includes both KVM over IP and Serial Console Management technology in a single appliance. This combination provides IT administrators a complete and secure, remote management solution to access and control servers, networking equipment and other devices found in data centers and branch offices. Using both in-band and out-of-band tools together allows for a more fault-tolerant and complete, remote management solution. Remote, out-of-band connections complement traditional in-band/software tools to improve troubleshooting, shorten response times and help minimize unplanned downtime.
The MergePoint Unity appliances provide remote users the capabilities of a direct, physical connection to KVM, USB and serial ports of servers and other IT equipment from anywhere.
Avocent MPU108E Features:
- Advanced Remote Management - Provides secure and remote, out-of-band connections directly to the physical KVM, USB and serial ports to complement existing in-band software management tools
- Meet Service Level Agreements and Minimize Downtime - Unified approach enables IT administrators a faster method to diagnose, reconfigure or restore equipment
- Virtual Media - Enables USB media such as CD-ROMs, flash memory and external drives to be virtually attached to a remote server's USB port
- CAC/Smart Card Support - Utilizing the virtual media capabilities remote or local users can map a USB-based smart card reader to the attached servers and authenticate using their smart cards
- Enhanced Serial Adapters - Supports standard, remote SSH connections to the attached serial devices and includes electronic pin-out options for quick and easy connections to the console ports on Cisco network equipment
- Power Device Port - Connect supported PDUs for integrated power control, measurement and reporting
Avocent MergePoint Unity Application Diagram
Avocent MPU108E Specifications:
|Height||1.72 in. (4.37 cm)|
|Width||17 in. (43.18 cm)|
|Depth||9.2 in. (23.4 cm)|
|Weight||8.1 lbs. (3.67 kg)|
|Operating Temperature||32° to 22°F (0° to 50°C)|
|Storage Temperature||-4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C|
|Humidity||Operating: 20% to 80% relative humidity (non-condensing) Non-operating: 5% to 95% relative humidity, 38.7°C maximum wet bulb temperature|
|Operating Voltage||100 - 240 VAC|
|Power Frequency||50-60 Hz auto-sensing|
|Input Power||40W max|
|Computers||PS/2, Sun, USB and serial|
|Video||640x480 @ 60 Hz; 800x600 @ 75 Hz; 960x700 @ 75 Hz; |
1024x768 @ 75 Hz; 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz;
1600x1200 @ 75 Hz using the MPUIQ-VMC module
|Peripherals||USB keyboard and mouse; VGA video|
|Number of Network Connections||2|
|Type of Network Connections||10/100/1000 Ethernet|
|Serial Port Type||1 configuration port, 2 power control ports|
|Serial Port Connector||RS-232, 8-pin modular|
|Approved Agency||UL, FCC, cUL, ICES-003, CE, VCCI, C-Tick|
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. The ECCN (export control classification number) for the MPU108E-001 is 5A002. Additional information provided by the manufacturer included the following:
LICENSE ENC-SS740.17 (A), (B) (1), (B
Question: Do you have a simple document to install and configure a KVM 108e, thanks
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately there is no quick install guide for the MergePoint Unity family. However, we have added a link to the most recent MergePoint Unity full installation/user guide on the MPU108E-001 product page. While it is not a specific manual for the discontinued MPU108E, it is the guide for the MergePoint Unity family in general and should provide the information you require.
Question: How many amps does this unit draw?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. This unit draws approximately 13 Watts of power. Assuming 120V AC and using the formula Amps = Watts/Volts, this unit should draw roughly .1 Amps (will depend on the voltage supplied).
Question: How to install sotware are configure on the server
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry,
The MergePoint Unity switches provide agentless remote control and access. No special software or drivers are required on the attached servers or client. However, Emerson DSView software may be used with the MergePoint Unity switch to allow IT administrators to remotely access, monitor and control target devices on multiple platforms through a single, web-based user interface.
Here are some resources for your install:
- DSView4 Installation Guide
- MergePoint Unity Installation Guide