IOGEAR GCS1734 Description
MiniView Extreme Mutimedia KVMP Switch - Cables Included!
4-port MiniView Extreme Multimedia KVMP Switch Kit w/Cables for USB or PS/2. IOGEAR's new MiniView Extreme Multimedia KVM and Peripheral Sharing Switch brings extra value to conventional KVM switches by offering USB peripheral sharing capabilities, audio and microphone support, and multi-platform support for Mac, Sun, USB and PS/2. You can save money and space by eliminating the need for multiple monitors, keyboards, mice, and peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, zip drives, and more. Up to 127 different USB devices can be daisy chained from this KVMP switch. Sharing speakers and a microphone also offers extra value and convenience for the users.
USB and KVM technology together makes cross-platform management easy. A single USB console can control a PC and a Mac, or even a Sun workstation, and share peripherals and audio devices between the computers. Any USB-enabled computers, using any USB-compatible operating system, can benefit from the efficiency, expense reduction and convenience of IOGEAR's Miniview Extreme KVMP switch.
IOGEAR GCS1734 Function
IOGEAR GCS1734 Features/Benefits
- Multi functional switch allows four USB or PS/2 (additional cables needed) computers to share one USB console and two USB peripheral devices such as printers and scanners, as well as speakers and a microphone
- User can conveniently switch USB peripheral devices from one computer to another using Hot Keys
- USB peripheral devices and USB consoles can be switched asynchronously from one computer to another using Hot Keys
- Fully compliant with USB 1.1 specifications and delivers a 12 Mbps data transmission rate
- Complete keyboard and mouse emulation for error free booting
- Support Multimedia keys on Mac and Sun keyboard
- Allows PC keyboards to simulate Mac and Sun Multimedia keys through Hotkeys
- Features AutoScan mode to monitor all computers
- LED display for easy status monitoring
- Superior video quality - supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536
- Extra convenience offered through sharing of speakers and microphone
- Easy installation: no software required, hot swappable
- Compact design for easy placement
IOGEAR GCS1734 Requirements
- Computers with USB or PS/2 connections (additional cables needed for PS/2 computers)
- Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
- Mac OS 8.6 or greater
- Sun Solaris work station
- Linux, UNIX and other USB supported systems*
- *Additional drivers and support may be needed
IOGEAR GCS1734 Package Contents
- 1 MiniView Extreme Multimedia KVMP switch GCS1734
- 4 USB KVM bonded cables
- 1 quick start guide
- 1 user manual
- 1 warranty card
- 1 power adapter
- 1 Firmware upgrade cable
IOGEAR GCS1734 Specifications
|Audio||1 x stereo speaker; 1 x Microphone|
|Flash ROM Upgrade||1 x RJ11 socket|
|Keyboard||1 x USB Type A|
|Monitor||1 x HDB-15 Female (Std. VGA/SVGA)|
|Mouse||1 x USB Type A|
|Audio||4 x stereo speaker; 4 x Microphone|
|Keyboard, Mouse, and Video||4 x SPDB15|
|Peripherals||2 x USB Type A|
|Humidity||0 - 80% RH|
|Operating Temperature||4 - 40 C|
|Peripheral Sharing||USB, selected through Hotkeys|
|Port Selection||Push button, Hot Keys|
|Power Consumption||Bus powered, power adapter for additional power|
|Scan Interval||5 sec.|
|Storage Temperature||-20 - 60 C|
|Video Resolution||2048x1536 (Max.); DDC/ DDC2B/ DDC2AB|
Answer: As you noted, most KVMs probably would not work, as they are powered through the USB ports of the attached computer. To get enough power, you would likely need a KVM that has an external power supply.
Outside of the power issue, the traditional Keyboard port may not support providing additional power at any rate. When using specialized or extended function keyboards, we often recommend attaching the keyboard to the USB hub portion of the KVM, as opposed to the dedicated keyboard port. Unfortunately, using the USB hub for the keyboard will often prevent KVM specific functions (like hot-key switching) from functioning. Obviously not ideal.
That being said, this switch has an optional power supply and USB hub functionality, so may hav a decent chance to work; but we cannot guarantee that it would.
Question: PART NUMBER FOR AN AC ADAPTER for the GCS1734
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. According to the manufacturer, the power supply for the GCS1734 is P/N: 0AD8-0005-261. https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0ad8-0005-261.html
Question: Will this support a Windows 7 environment?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. According to the manufacturer, this device will support Windows 7; however it does not have support for Windows 7 EDID (Extended display identification data).
The manufacturer lists the follwing information under Operating System support.
Windows XP, Windows Vista
Windows 7 **
Mac OS X 9 to 10.x
**Does not support display emulation for Windows 7 (EDID).