The IOGEAR GUS402 2x4 USB switch is a USB 2.0 peripheral sharing switch that allows two computers to share up to four USB devices, such as keyboard, mouse, printer, portable hard drives, etc.
This device eliminates the cost to have multiple sets of USB devices for each computer. It also cuts down cable clutter of your work area, as well as the trouble to move from one computer to another. Switching from computer to computer is easy with the press of a button with LED to indicate the selected computer. You can also charge and sync your mobile devices with the computer through this unit.
This device is USB 2.0 compliant with a data transfer rate of up to 480 Mbps, it is hot pluggable like most of the USB devices. It comes with over current protection to prevent your devices being damaged by sudden current change from the surrounding environment.
By connecting a keyboard and mouse to this unit, you can use it as a mini USB dock to control 2 laptops and allow them to share other USB devices as well.
The molded cable design for the computer side eliminates the need for more USB cables and makes field installation quick and easy.
- Enables two computers to share up to 4 USB peripheral devices, more devices can be supported by adding USB hubs
- Easily switch to any of your connected computers with the press of a button
- USB 2.0 compliant, supporting data transfer rates of up to 480Mbps
- Charge mobile devices such as smart phones on any of the USB device port
- LED indicators to indicate the port focus of the active computer
- Over-current protection
- Supports hot-plugging which allows the user to easily add or remove computers connected to the installation without having to power down the switch
- Molded-in cable design simplifies connections
- Cable lengths: USB output cables = 3.8ft, selection button cable = 6ft
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. This is a hardware based solution that requires no additional software or drivers to be installed.
Question: Is this switching automatic with software or do you have to get up to push a button between two printer being used by two desktops? If its not automatic switching between two desktops and two printers so that each desktop may use either printer from software on the screen, what do you recommend?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. This device does require the operator to use the push button to indicate which connected computer can access the USB device.
The GUB431 (https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/gub431.html has automatic transfer software for printer sharing.