The Avocent MergePoint Unity MPU104E-001 is a 4-port, 1 digital KVM path, with single AC power supply.
The MergePoint Unity switch includes both KVM over IP and Serial Console Management technology in a single appliance. This combination provides IT administrators a complete and secure, remote management solution to access and control servers, networking equipment and other devices found in data centers and branch offices. Using both in-band and out-of-band tools together allows for a more fault-tolerant and complete, remote management solution. Remote, out-of-band connections complement traditional in-band/software tools to improve troubleshooting, shorten response times and help minimize unplanned downtime.
The MergePoint Unity appliances provide remote users the capabilities of a direct, physical connection to KVM, USB and serial ports of servers and other IT equipment from anywhere.
Avocent MPU104E Features:
- Advanced Remote Management - Provides secure and remote, out-of-band connections directly to the physical KVM, USB and serial ports to complement existing in-band software management tools
- Meet Service Level Agreements and Minimize Downtime - Unified approach enables IT administrators a faster method to diagnose, reconfigure or restore equipment
- Virtual Media - Enables USB media such as CD-ROMs, flash memory and external drives to be virtually attached to a remote server's USB port
- CAC/Smart Card Support - Utilizing the virtual media capabilities remote or local users can map a USB-based smart card reader to the attached servers and authenticate using their smart cards
- Enhanced Serial Adapters - Supports standard, remote SSH connections to the attached serial devices and includes electronic pin-out options for quick and easy connections to the console ports on Cisco network equipment
- Power Device Port - Connect supported PDUs for integrated power control, measurement and reporting
Avocent MergePoint Unity Application Diagram
Avocent MPU104E Specifications:
|Height||1.72 in. (4.37 cm)|
|Width||17 in. (43.18 cm)|
|Depth||9.2 in. (23.4 cm)|
|Weight||8.1 lbs. (3.67 kg)|
|Operating Temperature||32° to 22°F (0° to 50°C)|
|Storage Temperature||-4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C|
|Humidity||Operating: 20% to 80% relative humidity (non-condensing) Non-operating: 5% to 95% relative humidity, 38.7°C maximum wet bulb temperature|
|Operating Voltage||100 - 240 VAC|
|Power Frequency||50-60 Hz auto-sensing|
|Input Power||40W max|
|Computers||PS/2, Sun, USB and serial|
|Video||640x480 @ 60 Hz; 800x600 @ 75 Hz; 960x700 @ 75 Hz; |
1024x768 @ 75 Hz; 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz;
1600x1200 @ 75 Hz using the MPUIQ-VMC module
|Peripherals||USB keyboard and mouse; VGA video|
|Number of Network Connections||2|
|Type of Network Connections||10/100/1000 Ethernet|
|Serial Port Type||1 configuration port, 2 power control ports|
|Serial Port Connector||RS-232, 8-pin modular|
|Approved Agency||UL, FCC, cUL, ICES-003, CE, VCCI, C-Tick|
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry,
The MPU104e would support connecting to targets via Avocents http web browser-based client (which would not require separate software), but would only support VNC and other connection methods via the optional DSVIEW4 software (which requires licenses).
If you are hoping to connect to sources via VNC (/https client) and without thinking about licensing, we would recommend the Adder AVX10008IP as a an alternative.
Please note, the MPU104e has been discontinued and directly replaced by the newer 8-port MPU108EDAC. Alternatively you can replace the MPU104e with the functionally similar Raritan DKX3-108.