Avocent 32-Port, 8 Digital Path, Dual-AC input Power Supply
The Avocent MergePoint Unity MPU8032DAC-001 is a KVM over IP 32-Port Serial Console Switch with 8 Digital Path and dual-AC input Power Supply.
This unique combination provides IT Administrators a complete remote management solution to access and control servers, networking equipment, and other devices found in data centers and branch offices.
The MergePoint Unity switches enhance the in-band management typically done through the NIC of IT equipment by providing secure and remote Out-of-band connections directly to the physical KVM, USB, and Serial ports. This unified approach enables IT administrators a faster method to diagnose, reconfigure, or restore equipment to meet SLA's and minimize downtime.
Avocent MergePoint MPU8032DAC-001 Backview
Avocent MergePoint MPU8032DAC-001 Features:
- Complete, full-featured remote server management from a single user interface.
- Remote KVM and serial console access are both included in the design of the MergePoint Unity switches.
- The MergePoint Unity switches can operate out of the box or can be managed by the DSView 3 software to allow a single method to manage and access all the MergePoint Unity switches that exist.
- Supports LDAP when used alone or can be managed with the DSView 4 management software to add more authentication and reporting options.
- The MergePoint Unity switch has virtual media capabilities to map USB storage devices and Smart Card/ Common Access Card (CAC) readers.
- All MergePoint Unity switches come with virtual media capabilities.
- The MergePoint unity switches offer dual 10/100/1000 ethernet ports on all models and options for models with dual power supplies.
- Dedicated power control ports to connect and control Avocent rack PDUs (sold separately) for integrated power control and measurement.
Avocent MergePoint MPU8032DAC-001 Application Diagram
Avocent MergePoint MPU8032DAC-001 Specifications:
|Height||1.72 in. (4.4 cm.)|
|Width||17.0 in. (43.2 cm.)|
|Depth||14 in. (34 cm.)|
|Weight (without cables)||8.6 lbs. (3.9 kg.)|
|Form Factor||1-U rack mountable|
|Number|| MPU8032DAC-001/4032DAC/2016DAC/1016DAC: 2 power supplies |
MPU08032/4032/2016/1016: 1 power supply
|Power||MPU8032DAC-001/8032: 24W; MPU4032DAC/4032: 18W; MPU2016DAC/2016: 13W; MPU1016DAC/1016: 12W|
|Heat Dissipation||MPU8032DAC-001/8032: 82 BTU/hr MPU4032DAC/4032: 62 BTU/hr |
MPU2016DAC/2016: 45 BTU/hr MPU1016DAC/1016: 41 BTU/hr
|AC Input Range||100-240 VAC|
|AC Frequency||50-60Hz autosensing|
|AC Input Current Rating||1.25 A|
|AC Input Power (max)||40W|
|Number||32 port models- MPU8032DAC-001/8032/4032DAC/4032|
|Modules supported||PS/2, Sun, USB and Serial modules sold separately|
|Sync Types||Separate horizontal and vertical|
|Input Video Resolution||640 x 480 @ 60 Hz; 800 x 600 @ 75 Hz; 960 x 700 @ 75 Hz; 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz; 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz|
|Supported Cabling||4-pair UTP CAT 5 or CAT 6, 45 meters maximum length|
|Type||USB and VGA|
|USB Device Port|
|PDU Port- used to manage supported PDUs through a direct serial port connection|
|Ambient Atmospheric Condition Ratings|
|Temperature||Operating;32 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 50 degrees Celsius) Non-operating: -4 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 70 degrees Celsius)|
|Humidity||Operating:20% to 80 % relative humidity (non-condensing) Non-operating: 5% to 95% relative humidity, 38.7 degrees C maximum wet bulb temperature|
|Safety and EMC Standards Approvals and Markings|
|UL, FCC, cUL, ICES-003, CE, VCCI, KCC, C-Tick, GOST|
|Safety certifications and EMC certifications for this product are obtained under one or more of the following designations: CMN (Certification Model Number), |
MPN (Manufacturer's Part Number) or Sales Level Model designation. The designation that is referenced
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry. It is not possible to add additional ports to the specific KVM, but you can "cascade" several MergePoint Unity switches together to increase the available ports up to a maximum of 1024 servers. When cascaded, the system will "merge" the two (or more) switches and all connected servers will display on the main server list in the local UI.
The MergePoint Unity manual states the following:
'You can cascade up to two levels of MergePoint Unity switches, enabling users to connect to up to 1024 servers. In a cascaded system, each target port on the main MergePoint Unity switch will connect to the ACI port on each cascaded MergePoint Unity switch. Each cascaded switch can then be connected to a server with an IQ module.'
A copy of the MergePoint Unity manual can be downloaded from the following location in PDF form: http://www.42u.com/pdf/avocent-mergepoint-unity-user-guide.pdf
Question: The MPU8032DAC-001 is being considered for use on a USAF network. Is it considered a "Secure" KVM and does it have any DoD credentials, i.e. Common Criteria Portal, NIST FIPS, etc?
Answer: Thank you for your inquiry,
The MPU8032DAC-001 does feature AES encryption, FIPS 140-2 compliance (Based on the FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic modules - Certificate #1051), UL certification, Common Access Card (CAC) authentication, and IPv6 networking.
You may also be interested in the similar Raritan DKX3-832 which meets DoD security standards including: AES & FIPS 140-2 encryption, UL certification, Common Access Card (CAC) authentication, PIV, FIPS 201, HSPD-12 and IPv6 networking.
A couple of notes for your application-
- U.S. government agencies and the Department of Defense are now mandated to purchase IPv6-compatible products.
- Both KVM series use an embedded FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic module running on a Linux platform per FIPS 140-2 implementation guidelines. This cryptographic module is used for encryption of KVM session traffic consisting of video, keyboard, mouse, virtual media and smart card data.
- The Raritan Dominion KX III also supports 256-bit and 128-bit AES encryption as recommended by the U.S. government’s NIST and FIPS standards Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for added security. The weaker RC4 encryption is no longer supported.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!